The very first task for the BW/4HANA team was to arrive at the right set of tools with the right versions, which would allow us to use BW4/HANA seamlessly.
Based on SAP’s Installation Guide for Modeling Tools for SAP BW/4HANA and SAP BW powered by SAP HANA, under the section “Installation Requirements”, it is necessary to use SAP HANA studio SP11 or higher. It is recommended to go through that section, to check for other requirements such as Operating System, Internet Explorer and SAP GUI versions.
Using the Eclipse Neon version + BWMT Tools
What worked well for us is using the Eclipse Neon version and the latest BW Modeling tools (version 1.15 & above). In this section, we will provide step by step instructions on how to download and install these tools.
- Go to the download site for Eclipse and download “Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers”. Choose 32bit or 64 bit, depending on your machine
- Once downloaded, extract the zip file to a local folder for e.g. C:\dev\eclipse
- Click on the Eclipse executable file to start up Eclipse (Make sure to “Run as Administrator” if you do not have full access rights to your machine).
- The Eclipse Launcher will first pop up, asking you to select a directory as workspace. You could replace the path with a location where you would like to store all your developments. For e.g. c:\dev\eclipse_workspace. Confirm with OK.
- The next step would be to install the BWMT modeling tools. From the Eclipse menu, choose Help à Install New Software
- Copy the URL https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/neon and paste it in the “Work with” field and press Enter. You will get a list of available tools for Eclipse Neon.
- Select “ABAP Development Tools for SAP NetWeaver” and “Modeling Tools for SAP BW powered by SAP HANA” and click on “Next”.
- The next pop-up will ask you to read and accept the license agreement. Please choose the appropriate radio button and click on Finish. Once the tools are installed, you will be prompted to restart Eclipse. Click on Yes.
- In order to check if you have the 1.15 version of BW modeling tools installed, go to the Help menu and click on “Installation Details”
Connecting to the BW/4HANA instance from HANA Studio
The first step is to create a new system entry in SAP GUI, for the BW/4HANA instance. Logging in to SAP GUI is the usual way as you would log in to the classic BW instance. You will immediately notice that you cannot model in RSA1 and so, you have to use HANA Studio/Eclipse for modeling and creating InfoProviders etc.
- Once logged in to Eclipse, choose “Open Perspective” from the bottom top corner and select “BW Modeling”
- You will then see the “Project Explorer” tab. Right click and select New à Project. Under Business Warehouse, select “BW Project”.
- You will be prompted to choose the BW system from the list of system available in your SAP GUI. Choose the relevant system, enter your credentials and voila! You are now connected to the BW/4HANA system in HANA Studio.
- The next time you open Eclipse, simply try to expand this BW project that you created and the system will prompt you to login with your credentials.
You are now ready to get started with BW/4HANA! 🙂
Do visit our main blog post, for an overview of other topics on BW/4HANA.
N.B. Thanks you Anisha Lobo for this contribution
This article belongs to
- SAP BW/4HANA
- Just Blogger